We’ll Do It Live

Today, I decided to take my portfolio live. It’s not perfect, and just looking at it, there are several things I’d like to change. But I need to start moving faster. Perfect being the enemy of good, it was time to just let this one out the door and start working on other things.

I had run the site in local environments several times, so I was fairly confident that pushing the site live would be fairly painless. As with most things in web development, this seemingly simple task was much easier said than done.Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 5.17.51 PM.png

I used Gatsby to build my portfolio website, so I checked those docs to see how to deploy. The docs recommended, in the “Preparing to Go Live” section, running a LightHouse Audit, found in the Google DevTools. I ran the audit, and got the following results:

  • Performance: 64%
  • PWA: 50%
  • Accessibility: 52%
  • Best Practices: 80%
  • SEO: 100%

To boost some of these low numbers, the Gatsby docs have several recommendations, including adding a web manifest. I did that from the Terminal, updated my gatsby-config.js file accordingly (making sure to change the route to my preferred image) and let ‘er rip.

Errors. Errors like I had never seen. Scrolling up and up through the Terminal, all I saw was a sea of red. When I reached the top, the error message was indecipherable. I copied it into Google, but had no luck. This was going to take me down an unnecessary rabbit hole. The single most important thing to me was going live, as soon as possible. Cleanup can be done later.

I deleted the web manifest doc from my node_modules folder, removed the plugin from gatsby-config, and re-saved. From the Terminal, I ran build and serve commands, and everything went back to normal. I decided to go back through the Gatsby docs, but without worrying about optimized performance.

This led me to Surge: “Static web publishing for Front-End Developers”. I had previously installed the CLI, so I jumped right in. I had previously owned my domain name from years ago, and had purchased it from GoDaddy.com back when, as far as I knew, they were the only game in town.

I added a CNAME to my DNS according to the docs on Surge’s website, followed the rest of the docs, and deployed! We were live!

But something wasn’t adding up. My site would be live on Safari one minute, but would redirect to GoDaddy on Firefox, and show a blank white page on Chrome. No good. I played around with this for hours, testing frequently in a variety of browsers, and often getting a variety of inconsistent results. I was losing my mind.

I checked the Gatsby docs for deploying alternatives, and looked into GitHub Pages, Heroku, and Netlify. After noodling around with all three, Netlify seemed to be the clear winner. It was simple, clear, and direct. I followed their prompts, and everything deployed without a hitch.

After we were up and running, I noticed that every link worked, except for the live demo of my Client Panel app. While it works in Firefox, it gives me nothing in Chrome and Safari. But at this point, that’s tomorrow’s problem.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s